Dear 11th Ward Members,
In 2 weeks it will be time again for General Conference. It will be held on October 3rd and 4th. I look forward to General Conference every 6 months. Earlier in my life I didn't have the same feeling about Conference as I do now. I would prepare for General Conference like I would prepare to go to the dentist. Avoid at all costs!
President Nelson said in October 2019 General Conference that we should prepare for April 2020 by studying about the Restoration and read Joseph Smith History. I can tell you that as I did what President Nelson asked, I had as I listened to the April 2020 talks, a strong witness of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith's role as the Prophet of the Restoration. It was well worth the effort that I put into getting ready for General Conference.
Yesterday Martha and I were talking to Robin Metler and she shared with us what her plan is to get ready for Conference.
I invite you to create a personalized plan to help you and your family get ready to hear the words of the Lord as delivered by his Prophet, Apostles and the General Authorities of the Church. They can be as simple as making sure your schedule is clear to listen or watch the sessions. Or as involved as fasting and praying for a specific answer to a trial or tribulation. Or anywhere in between. As we each make an effort to "Hear Him" as President Nelson has asked us to, we will, through practice and repetition be able to hear our Saviors voice clearer and easier. We will be able to fortify ourselves and our families against the evils of today. Each and every effort we do to "Hear Him" will yield positive results in our personal life and in the lives of our families.
It is my hope and prayer that we each can hear what the Lord wants us to hear and learn this General Conference. In the name of Jesus Christ. amen
Love,
Bishop Merrill